Healthy Kids Challenge® (HKC) is a nationally recognized program that was designed to help schools and community programs problem-solve barriers and create plans for policies, practices, and nutrition education. For over 18 years, HKC has pioneered the path of school, organization, and community wellness.In 2016, HKC was acquired by Sportime featuring SPARK, a division of School Specialty, Inc., who is excited to continue helping to meet the challenge for healthier kids and families.
Our vision is that kids and families live in a world where healthy food and physical activity are part of their everyday places.
Great beginnings! HKC was founded in 1998. Cooking Light magazine hired Vickie L. James, RD, LD as director and creator following a highly successful Cooking Light community outreach project. She proudly held that post until her retirement in 2016.
Awards and Recognition
HKC has received the honored:
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (American Dietetic Association) Anita Owen Award for Most Innovative Educational Program
- Advertising Council-Community Action Network (CAN) Service Award Honoring the Media & Corporate Communities for Outstanding Solutions to Social Problems
Additional recognition and collaboration include:
- 2012 Hall of Fame Award for Marketing Disease Prevention in America
- Community Dietetics National Awardee
- Outstanding National Dairy Council Grant
- 25th Year Innovation Award Cooking Light
- Silver Award Winner Cooper Institute
- HECAT development for CDC
- External reviewer for IOM report on childhood obesity
- Cooper Institute Nutrigram tool development
- Let’s Move Chefs to Schools
- Health advocacy fellows program
- Access to healthy foods advisor
- Statewide school improvement plan