Healthy Kids Challenge® and Cigna partnered for healthy eating - physical activity solutions that support kids in making choices for lifetime health and success.
Families, Schools and Communities Practice
Healthy Eating and Physical Activity
Ready, Set, Cook & Eat
Last fall kids and families in Houston, Dallas and Phoenix cooked up great health! Who knew that learning about healthy eating could be so fun!
Phoenix, Festival Telemundo
The Cigna sponsorship of HKC's Ready, Set, Cook & Eat!™ event at Festival Telemundo 2014 in Phoenix was a fun, healthy success! Three family teams put their creativity to work showing what healthy can be! Emcee, Penélope Menchaca, star of Telemundo Network’s 12 Corazones, added to the fun with healthy messages and leading kids in physical activities.
Houston, Trader’s Village Fiestas Patrias
Cigna and Telemundo partnered to bring the Ready, Set, Cook & Eat!™ to Houston’s kids and families. Telemundo celebrity Penelope Menchaca emceed the fun event. Three teams composed of families cooked off healthy meals. Just imagine these wonderful recipe creations:
Team 1’s breakfast of black refried beans, scrambled eggs with onion and cheese and a side of avocado and tortillas. Served with garden salad of onion, tomato, avocado, green pepper and cilantro.
Team 2’s chicken corn dish with salsa verde, green pepper, onion, corn, avocado, topped with cheese and cilantro. Served with pineapple and papaya, garnished with lime and a green salad with tomato, onion, cheese, avocado, and a garnish of lime.
Team 3 food - A Mexican plate with beans, rice, avocado, manchego cheese, garnished with cilantro and tortilla. A scrambled egg dish with jalapeno, sausage, tomatoes, and cheese. And a fruit salad.
Who knew that healthy could be so appealing!
Dallas, Klyde Warren Park
At the United Way Health and Wellness Fair presented by Cigna and Texas Instruments, kids and families put their creativity to work. After four teams were formed, they first came up with their own catchy team names. The “Waker Uppers” focused on healthy breakfast; the “Snacky Snacky’s” on healthy snacks; “The Carrot Spears” were the fruits and veggie chefs; and “Fruits on the Go” were the “go to” for healthy beverage ideas.
You can almost taste these examples of the yummy healthy recipes the teams dreamed up:
"Waker Uppers" dishes:
- Smiley waffle topped with peaches and cranberries and a blend of low fat yogurt and granola
- Breakfast burrito with salsa black beans, cheese and guacamole
- Veggie plate with low fat cheese and hummus for dipping
- Cucumbers with fresh squeezed lime and salt
The Carrot Spears:
- Veggie surprise with tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, yellow pepper, orange pepper, grapes, low fat cheese cubes, and a balsamic vinegrette
- All the food groups on one plate – "The Whole Package” - low fat yogurt/granola with raisins and strawberries; English muffin topped with fat free cream cheese and dried cherries; black beans with lettuce, and orange bell pepper; salad with peaches and strawberries and cucumbers; rice with chicken, bell pepper and onion.
Fruits on the Go:
- “Klyde Warren Park” – peanut butter, graham crackers, chocolate bar, low fat yogurt garnished with a strawberry
- “Morning Stretch” – strawberries, banana, kiwi, strawberry yogurt and low fat milk, garnished with a lime
- “East Lawn Delight” – carrots, spinach, mango, tomato, blueberry low fat yogurt, pineapple, and honey (garnished with cilantro)
Local celebrities, including former Dallas Cowboy running back Preston Pearson, coached the teams and judged the products. Every team won an award for categories such as presentation, speed of preparation, or kid friendliness!
They Learn Moving More can be Fun and Eating Healthy can be Tasty
Cigna joined with Healthy Kids Challenge® to develop and co-brand programs that drive behavioral change among elementary age kids and their families in an effort to increase healthy eating choices and physical activity.
HKC-Cigna initiatives are reaching KidLinks™ everywhere they live, learn, work, and play!
Use the following links to learn more about:
- Cigna Mix Six for Healthy Balance Toolkit - Real-life tips and activities for families to incorporate better health into their daily routines
- Showcase Schools - Schools across the U.S. have received HKC assistance and showcase best practices
- HKC-Cigna Making Strides Schools - Regional Cigna offices supported HKC assistance in schools
- As a presenting sponsor, Cigna has helped make an impact by supporting Healthy Kids Dance for Health™, a healthy dance fundraiser, and for the school raising the most funds, a Day of Dance with Sabrina Bryan, HKC Spokesperson, Cheetah Girl, and Dancing with the Stars and BYou celebrity
- Walk Through the Pyramid™, now Explore MyPlate™, events including the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Disney Marathon presentations
- Ready, Set, Cook & Eat™ Cigna-Telemundo events
In this time of increasing healthcare cost, Cigna and HKC are making a difference today for tomorrow.
HKC-Cigna Showcase Schools
Sponsored by the Cigna Foundation
Since 2004, Cigna and the Cigna Foundation have provided funding to help build healthier school environments. With Cigna support, Healthy Kids Challenge® has been able to provide training and support to help schools with best practices that connect healthy eating and physical activity with wellness and academic achievement.
Sponsored by the Cigna Regional Offices
Corporate Partners in Health Making a Healthy Difference
In recent years, Healthy Kids Challenge® has worked with numerous others in the industry to generate healthy messages, develop tools, activities, and creative lessons for KidLinks™, people who can help kids make healthy eating and physical activity choices a habit. Best practices were developed through various forms of collaboration with corporations such as
- Cooking Light
After starting as a nonprofit of Cooking Light in 1998 and becoming an independent nonprofit in 2001, Healthy Kids Challenge maintained a partnership that continued to make a healthy difference.
- Lifeway Foods
Lifeway Foods celebrated 25 years of active culture with a national traveling anniversary bike tour party. As a result of the tour, HKC was chosen to receive a $25,000 donation because the organization shares Lifeway's commitment to good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle.
- Del Monte
Del Monte solely sponsored HKC's Stirring Up Health™ annual national middle school recipe contest for two consecutive years. Del Monte has also sponsored the My Healthy Challenge wellness newsletter and provided prizes for the success story winners.
- Mission Foods
Mission Foods has sponsored the HKC Dance for Health™ event and co-sponsored HKC's Stirring Up Health™ annual national middle school recipe contest and a HKC Walk Through the Pyramid ™ at a Food Network South Beach Wine and Food Festival Fun and Fit as a Family event .
- Cabot Creamery
Cabot co-sponsored HKC's 2008-2009 Stirring Up Health™ annual national recipe contest for 7th and 8th graders. In addition, Cabot provided sponsorship support for HKC's Walk Through the Pyramid ™ display during the 2008 Food Network's Fun and Fit as a Family event at the South Beach Wine and Food Festival.
Nestlé Pure Life partnered with Healthy Kids Challenge to create a healthier future for kids and families. Families were invited to take part in 2 initiatives: Nestle-HKC Facebook Cause and Nestle Pure Life Pledge. Thanks to the success of these initiatives, $100,000 was donated to help in our fight against childhood obesity.
Healthy Kids Challenge and Arby's® teamed up to create awareness of healthy eating and physical activity. Air Arby's® high-flying toys were designed to encourage families to get active outside. HKC offered a discount for kids activity booklets with the purchase of a healthy kids meal.
HKC and Aquafina developed a collection of hydration tip sheets for educators to use in teaching the important role of water as a beverage.
AstraZeneca and Healthy Kids Challenge joined in message and action to educate families about identifying and managing gastroesophageal acid reflux disease, commonly known as GERD. The campaign included a kids’ cooking contest for GERD friendly recipes, school events in Kansas City and Orlando, and resources for schools and families in a Habits for Health toolkit: Habits for Health Family Tips and Habits for Health School Tips.
Colavita collaborated on a community Walk Through the Pyramid™ and healthy web tips.
- Discovery Education
With Discovery Education, HKC created five food basics learning modules for use with adult audiences in a variety of settings.
HKC was one of the contributors to Salsa, Sabor y Salud - a first-of-its-kind healthy lifestyles educational program designed by Latinos for Latinos.
Fantastically Fit was a weeklong campaign developed specifically for school food service.
- Friendship Dairy
Another product of collaboration was the Friendship Dairy teacher tool.
- National Potato Promotion Board
As an early supporter of Healthy Kids Challenge, The National Potato Promotion Board collaborated to develop the first HKC toolkits for elementary schools.
Protos Foods Inc., the manufacturer for OSTRIM Meat Snacks, which are designed for people who are serious about their nutrition, joined in the Healthy Kids Challenge message to help kids eat, move, and enjoy a healthy balance.